The Vologda Regional Scientific Library
The Vologda Regional Scientific Library is the largest by shelf space and one of the most important libraries in the Vologda region. Its collections include over 1,3 million books, manuscripts and other print materials in Russian and foreign languages. It also holds audio materials, such as discs, tapes, talking books, and other recorded formats; maps; pieces of sheet music; visual materials (moving images, photographs, posters, prints and drawings), videotapes, newspapers, pamphlets, sound recordings and other materials.
The Vologda Regional Scientific Library was established on February 9, 1919. The library had a staff of 12 for a collection of 1,5 thousand volumes. It began to grow and develop rapidly. Six months later its holdings made up 15 thousand books thanks to an active and prolific role of librarians. Books were delivered from the abandoned mansions of the nobility, monasteries and theological seminaries. Part of the collection presents personal libraries and donation of the noblemen. From the very beginning the library advocated a focus on scientific research.
The library's mission is to make its resources available and useful to people and to sustain and preserve a universal collection of knowledge and creativity for future generations.
The library is open to the general public for academic research. Only those who are issued a "Reader Identification Card" may enter the reading rooms and access the collection. The Reader Identification Card is available to persons who are at least 14 years of age upon presentation of a passport.
The Vologda Regional Academic Library takes advantage of new technological advancements and provides an on-line archive of the proceedings of some encyclopedias and reference books.
The Vologda Regional Academic Library actively participates in enhancing ties with scholars, authors, publishers, cultural leaders and the business community.
(Information taken from vologda-oblast.ru )